Monday, May 19, 2008


Humility is hard. Sometimes it seems near impossible. It requires a total abandonment of our former sinful self that is so inclined toward pride and embracing the new self which is strange and uncomfortable. Still, we are told, that "whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Though to us it may seem hard, God promises to give grace to those who have a humble spirit. And with God, nothing is impossible.


I have found that humility is not comparing ourselves with others (we can always find someone worse off than we are to support our pride) but comparing ourselves with God. Its like the pharisee and the publican. When I compare myself with earthly things, I too easily pat myself on the back and say "Well, you're not so bad. Look at all the good things you have done!" However, to place my "good things" beside the perfection of a holy God, I can do nothing but plead with the publican, "Lord be merciful to me, a sinner!" A wonderful definition of humility is "recognizing that it is actually God and others who are responsible for the achievements in my life." I have nothing to be proud about, every good thing in me is is all of God.


"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less" ~ Author unknown. Humility is losing sight of ourselves. It is looking to the needs of others. Often in times of self-consciousness, I want other people to pay attention to me. I think I have a right to be noticed and talked to. A humble heart does not selfishly desire gain or recognition, it does not assert itself or demand honor. It delights in the sucess of others and is pleased to serve the Lord in secret. "Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble." (1 Pet. 5:5)

God promises great things for the humble. "By humility and fear of the Lord are riches, and honour, and life." (Proverbs 22:4) "And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted." (Matt. 23:12) When we are willing to do the little things, the unimportant and uncomfortable, God will do mighty things through us.

"Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility." Augustine

::Quick update of our month of May::
On May 9t and 10th, our family went to the Pennsylvania homeschool convention in Harrisburg. We had a booth for our family business and another booth representing the Bright Lights ministry. It was a wonderful time, talking to other homeschooled families, perusing the other booths and also listening to some great sessions. Here are some pictures:







~ Becky ~

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello all! Rebekah W.

Lehigh said...

When we visited you I noticed the book Humility by Andrew Murray on your stairs step. Were you reading that? I bought the book at Good's that very day and am really enjoying reading it now. Anyone who looks in it will find many underlines in a red pencil!

More comments later!
Hannah

Anonymous said...

I really like the photos. Your booth looked so nice (I could have hung around for a long time just looking at everything)! Did you sell many of the kits? What about the plays? Did you sell any of those?

Have a nice day,
Hannah

Anonymous said...

Hi-ya i am new here. I stumbled upon this message board I have found It very accessible & its helped me tons. I hope to give something back & support other people like its helped me.

Cheers all, Catch You About.

Anonymous said...

Good Day i'm new to this, I came upon this board I have found It truly accommodating & its helped me a great deal. I should be able to give something back and assist other people like it has helped me.

Thanks, See You Around

Anonymous said...

Hey i'm new here, I came accross this site I have found It extremely helpful and its helped me so much. I hope to contribute and aid other users like it has helped me.

Thanks a load, Catch You About.

Anonymous said...

Heya i am fresh on here. I came accross this website I have found It incredibly helpful and its helped me out alot. I hope to give something back and aid others like it has helped me.

Cheers, See Ya Around

Anonymous said...

Howdy i am fresh to this, I stumbled upon this chat board I have found It amply accommodating & its helped me out a great deal. I hope to give something back & support other people like it has helped me.

Thank You, See Ya Later