Tuesday, June 5, 2007

What I Want to be Remembered For

I was recently challenged to write down what I want to be remembered for after I die. It was a wonderful exercise, causing me to think about what kind of legacy I wanted to leave behind me and encouraging me to strive towards it. Here is what I came up with…

What I Want to be Remembered For
I want to be remembered by my family as one who loved them unconditionally. Someone who served them without being asked and delighted to be with them. I want my family to remember me as quick to listen and slow to speak; having a humble spirit that sought forgiveness immediately and granted it without hesitation.

I want to be remembered by my friends for rejoicing with them when they were happy and mourning with them when they were sad. I want them to remember me for encouraging them to do their best and delighting in their success. I want to be remembered for always being present in a troubling time and pointing to Christ as a Comforting Friend.

I want to be remembered for living life to the fullest and never letting a minute pass by in which I was not busily employed in my Father’s work. I want to be remembered for having hands quick to help and feet ready to take the gospel to the uttermost parts of the earth. I want to be remembered for speaking lovingly at all times and never raising my voice; for always wearing a smile and befriending everyone I met. When people remember me, I want them to remember someone who was generous when they were needy, compassionate when they struggled, and forgiving when they asked for pardon.

But really, I do not want to be remembered at all. Instead, when people hear my name, I want them to remember the One who gave His life that I might live, that One whose character I strive to emulate. It would be a great thing indeed if any remembrance of me would bring instant remembrance to my Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.
~Becky~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky, thank goodness you're not dead! :) But right now, when I think of you as my friend, I undoubtedly think of you as what you listed above. I am really blessed that I have you as a friend! Love you!
M

Anonymous said...

Wow Becky! What a legacy to strive for! That is such an inspiration. Let me tell you though, you've already begun. I see this implemented in your life. love ya, Rebecca